Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Doctors and Dentists

Referrals are a beautiful thing when living in a foreign country. We expats depend on each other for recommendations for about almost everything, restaurants, shopping, grocery stores, massages but most importantly medical. 

Honestly I already made my dentist appointments for this summer in the US but a friend of mine highly suggested a dentist here. Being a bit skeptical I have been dragging my feet so of course my child pushes a decision on me when he comes down with a tooth ache. Jacks tooth is bothering him. I am already convinced he has a cavity, his brushing habits are not star worthy to say the least. After a night or two I realize this ache is not going away. I go on line to the dentists website to make an appointment (this is how you do it when you don't speak Thai, website is in English, guess what kind of patients these dentists want?  The having money kind, lol) Get an email back they can see him the very next day.  Appointment time - dentist is awesome perfect English, office is modern and super clean. Dentist is graduate from Georgetown medical school and still has a practice he owns in Washington DC. Lived in US for 18 years. I am curious to know why he is in Pattaya. He is from Bangkok came back to Thailand because of family and likes the more laid back atmosphere in Pattaya. Okay so I got his entire history. Hey he spoke great English and I'm always curious about Why someone is in Pattaya besides the ladyboys and beer bars. Lol. Long story short Jack didn't have a cavity but a cracked filling. In and out in under an hour the dentist did the entire procedure under $50. Needless to say Jack and I went back for cleanings.  Again in an out less than an hour and the dentist did the cleanings himself each cleaning less than $100. Best service ever And we didn't have to wait 6 months for our appointments. You can make an appointment for the same week you call. The other three now have appointments. 

Okay so far boring post right? Just trying to show you not everything here is funny. Some can be very normal. Thank goodness BUT then the funny happens again just to remind you that our life is just not normal here and there is never a dull moment. 

Erin has been going to the dermatologist lately. Normal 17 year old stuff. Just so happens she went 2 weeks in a row. The way it works here is you go to the waiting room and then a nurse comes and gets the patient to take vitals, normal stuff, weight, blood pressure, height and temp. A friend told me that you can actually say no to this service because there is an individual charge on your bill for it. Today thinking this wasn't necessary since it was purely a follow up I told the nurse no it wasn't needed. 
The nurse gave me a strange look, shook her head (this was her attempt at telling me she didn't understand) and took Erin by her hand. We followed the nurse into the vitals room then the nurse proceeded to explain in very broken English, hand gestures and actions what she was going to do.

She shows Erin the blood pressure cuff puts it on her arm says blood and then proceeds to hit her own chest and say thump thump thump, gives Erin ok sign. Takes thermometer puts under Erin's arm says sun hot no good, wraps her arms around herself says cold no good but points finger at Erin and gives ok sign. Erin is looking like OMG really. I'm trying not to laugh. The nurse shows Erin scale, Erin picks up her foot to show shoes nurse shakes her head, Erin takes off shoes, nurse shows Erin how to step on scale, Erin is like REaLLy!  Nurse doesn't say much just says body and takes her own hands and rubs them down her sides and crouches on the ground jumping a little and points at Erin and gives her ok sign.  Erin is trying not to laugh realizing that this nurse does not think Erin speaks English nor does this nurse speak much English. When she gets around to height Erin tries to tell her what her height is but doesn't know it in metric so goes to use her phone to convert but the nurse stops her and says tall then goes to the floor taps it with her hand and them raises it up to Erin's head and says ok, never measures her at all. Best comedy routine of the day and I'm am just relieved that Erin is OK. Lol! Gotta love the Thais. 
To all my nurse friends - Thai nursing school - much easier and I bet they will teach you the hand movements too. Lol!! 😜
All this for 300baht (about 10$). Couldn't ask for a cheaper laugh. Erin and I were in hysterics. 

We think I must have caught her off guard when I said that I didn't want this service and she probably wasnt sure what I said and since everyone is Russian here maybe thought we were Russian and spoke  no English.  Who knows. It was a great giggle for us. 


Cheers from the other side
😘 M

No comments:

Post a Comment