Wednesday, May 21, 2014

It's just reality!

First accident that Khun Biayoon has had since he has been driving for us. Does it sound like I'm surprised well, yes I am. Lol. If you saw the way these people drive around here you would understand. 
KB is actually a really safe driver. Shhhhh, but I prefer him over Walter, okay maybe because I sit in the back seat when KB drives and don't watch the road. 

So the car accident, well it was barely an accident. He hit a woman on a motorbike going about 5 mph. Seriously when he hit her I didn't even think the bike would go down, oh! But it did, then the dramatization began. 

KB gets out of the car and the woman is laying in the road. A taxi driver comes to her rescue and he and KB help her get up. She can't walk.  She actually has a helmet on which is a shocker because I think about 60% of the motorbikes don't wear helmets. It's her leg. Erin and I stay in the car. I am really not sure what to do. This was not part of our cultural training. 😊 hmmm now what

They walk the girl over to the side of the road pick up her bike and sit her in a chair. Of course there is a chair we were right near one of the million taxi stands. A small crowd gathers. Poor B is trying to explain, nope I can't hear this I am still in the car but I can tell by the body language and hand jesters. 

Okay now what, I ask Erin. She just looks at me and shrugs her shoulders. We both pick up our phones and start texting. Walter is in India so I text my friend who has lived here for a while. Erin calls her friend who has lived here a long time. We are both looking for advice on what to do. First piece of advice don't get out of the car - good because I wasn't. Lol. Second piece of advice don't tell them you have money - well that's a little hard when KB just took me to the ATM, hopefully he doesn't share this info with them. 

KB comes back to the car shuffling around. I ask what's up - he says they want money. I say how much?  He says maybe 500baht - easy not a problem less than $20USD. 

Next thing I see a policeman approaching the car- KB cuts him off and they walk back to the lady. Now she is standing. Oh and her nasty farang money bag (old foreign man who probably "keeps" her) shows up. Erin and I sit in the car rolling our eyes. Thank god for heavily tinted windows. 

They start  inspecting her leg, her head and now the bike. Erin and I continue to roll our eyes. Poor KB. 

KB comes back to the car and starts calling someone. Who are you calling, I ask?  The car company - why? So they can come pay the lady - I laugh. Okay KB the car co. is NOT going to come here and just pay your lady off especially when you hit her. How much?  Lady wants 1000 baht ($33 USD). I think - Guess they found an old scratch on the bike. Okay fine - as I hand him the money.  

KB comes back to he car with his head down. Now what?  The policeman want 500 baht?  What!!  What for??  He will take me to station. HA HA yeah right they will - I hand him the 500 baht. 
Corruption people at its finest. 

As we drive off we get stuck in some traffic. The lady we just hit drives by and waves, the old nasty farang drives by and waves. I would like to wave something at them but Erin grasps my hand and fingers and keeps them in my lap.   Lol

My first encounter with corruption in Thailand. Walter says - hey that is not bad almost a year here and this is the first accident plus it only cost about $50 USD. Think about that same accident in the US, our insurance rates would go up, the scratch on the bike would have been hundreds of dollars to fix, I begin to rethink what he has said and realize maybe the corruption here is not so bad. 
Walter alway thinking on the bright side. 😉


Along with this lovely incident I also wanted to share some of our normal reality so you can see not everything is glamorous here in Thailand. 

We have a rat problem - they die in the ceiling and smell REalLY BAD. 
Cockroaches - they seem to like us as well and they are HUgE.
We have a leak in the bathroom but no one can seem to fin it. 
There is a snake in the garden somewhere but no one can seem to find it. (Do you see the pattern)
Have I mentioned the size of snakes here. Yes this one was a python on the road when we were  driving at night by my kids school. 



Thailand beer is really bad and I'm over it. (whoever thought those words would come out of my mouth) hahahaha
Have I complained lately about my laundry - no dryer - rainy season is starting so everything stays damp. 
My maid decided she didn't need to come this week, my sisters are visiting and now I am cleaning my house. Okay maybe that one I should not complain about. Seriously though it's annoying! Lol

Oh and Walter is on a major travel schedule so I have seen him like 2 days in the last 3 weeks. I am missing my buddy. 

So as you can see life in Thailand is not always perfect but who wants to read about that stuff. Lol

On a brighter note 
MY SiSTeRS are COMiNg in 2 DaYS!!!  Can't wait. Woohoo!!

Cheers from the other side
😘 M

No comments:

Post a Comment