Thursday, October 10, 2013

A new reality show coming soon

The Household Help of Thailand, My new reality show.  I'm just testing new titles for the reality show that is being created before my very eyes. I just need a video camera now. ;)

Scene: The maid, the driver, and the gardener (sounds like a beginning to a bad joke) throw in a language teacher and this is my household ( you can stop rolling your eyes, I do live in Thailand) all sitting around discussing their employee. 

The characters: The driver who sits around the car port sleeping and watching movies in the car and rarely entering the house but he speaks decent English and always asks for money. 
The maid who speaks very little English but she is inside the nice air conned house all day cleaning the clean house she cleaned the day before
The gardener/pool boy who speaks no English (at least he pretends he doesn't) and works outside mostly while wearing militia lookin coverings so his skin doesn't darken but he has been working at this house for a VERY long time and also comes in the nice air conned house when something needs to be fixed so he gets lots of respect plus he resides at one of these nice houses here in the neighborhood. 
Small part: The Thai teacher, she is educated and speaks English very well but is only here 2 days a week for a short period of time. She likes to TalK especially about being single. Good grief she needs a boyfriend. 

The 3 main characters are hanging around my car port talking, as I come out of my house they scatter. Not sure what they are afraid of I don't speak Thai. Of course I crack a joke which of course know one understands but they suddenly find the need to get back to work. 

Thai lesson with the teacher which begins with her asking me why "white people" (her words not mine) lay in the sun and tan their skin. She likes to tell me how bad it is for my skin which makes me laugh. She also tells me that Thai people are opposite because white makes you look richer, haha try telling that to the workers in Meijer in MI. 
She and my maid get along well, well, better than I want them too. They like to talk about me, how do I know?  One word I recognize is madam, Thai people are not subtle, more like very direct with zero confrontation. These two are having a conversation turns out they are talking about Walter, the name is easy to understand. Lol. From My teacher I am told Walter offended our maid because he called her a bad name in Thai. Hello Walter doesn't speak Thai. Oh how does one call another a bad word when you don't speak the language. Trying to explain that Walter is just learning Thai to my teacher and maid was a funny conversation. So I'm apologizing to them for something Walter has absolutely no idea what he said plus Walter is never around so this happened 3 weeks ago. Again why am I having this conversation as I shake my head. 
Warning:   If you come to Thailand for a visit don't ever put the E sound before a name. I guess, at least that's what I got out of the conversation. 

One evening Driver asks me for money. I just gave him money 8 days ago. He is denied, don't judge. Lol
Next morning a message is left on my voice mail by him, he is not coming to work brother in law died.  He shows up anyway. I am concerned and go to greet him. He is sad but worried about me, Walter is still away. He continues to tell me that his Brother in law died because of to much whiskey.  He then continues to tell me very matter of factly that he has to take body to man, using his charade skills puts fingers on wrist checking for pulse. He then continues on that he has to take man to bleed him (those are his exact words). Really did I need to hear this. I'm trying to look saddened not sickened. After he says they bleed him I take him to temple to burn him. Again really am I really having this conversation with this man in my car port. 
He says this is why I drove my pick up truck. I should have stopped there but nope I had to ask why driving his truck mattered, like I really needed to know, but the truck was for transporting the body. Turns out Khun Baiyoon had to go pick up the body, his wife could not lift him (charades for stiff man were done by Biayoon) and take him in the back of the pickup truck to all these different places. Now of course I'm feeling guilty that this man is at my house with the dead mans body waiting for him, I give him the day off. Biayoon shows up at 5pm that night to help transport kids and shows up the following day to take me to meet up with Walter. Needless to say we gave him an advancement in his salary Saturday night.  He has to pay for services at the temple. Geez who knew I would be so caught up in another persons life so much. 
I guess I got lucky a friend of mine had her driver show her the picture of the dead persons body to prove why he had to take time off and She did not ask for this proof. 

These are just a few of the happenings going on in this household. Who knew so much drama would swirl around.  You just have to laugh and remind yourself to take it a day at a time. 

We leave for holiday this Sunday. We are quite excited for our first big adventure. We are going to the White Sand Beach in Koh Chang. Koh Chang is the third largest island in Thailand. Khun Biayoon is driving us there. It's about a 3.5 hour trip ending with a ferry ride out to the island. We hope the rain stays away but we are taking a gamble with it being monsoon season. It rained here nonstop today, a typhoon hit Vietnam and we are feeling the effects.   I'm hoping this will pass and we will get a great sunny vacation. 

I bought my first ever fascinator, who knew I would ever say that word or wear something like that. Going to a huge viewing party in Bangkok for the Melbourne Cup. Nope not into horse races but into fun experiences.  

Enjoying the ride!
Cheers
😘 M xx



Side note:
Erin's birthday is November 3. She will be 17!  I can't believe it. If your a Facebook person I would love to light up her wall with tons of well wishes. She has chosen a noble thing for her birthday to donate all her birthday gifts/monies to the Mercy Center. This is a Christian based orphan run by a single American woman. Erin volunteers at this orphan on a weekly basis. She has fallen in love with several of the kids and comes home regularly asking us to adopt. Living in Thailand has given her the realization how fortunate we are. She is really beginning to appreciate this adventure and take full advantage of it. I am her biggest cheerleader!  


Interesting blog sent to me by my cousin Megan. Join the conversation if interested. http://www.conversiondiary.com/2013/10/what-is-the-religious-climate-in-your-part-of-the-world.html

No comments:

Post a Comment