Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Hotel Life ~ Jack Approved

 Writing has never been my strong suit.   Blogging is definitely how I push myself to do something where I am probably at my most vulnerable state. My kids have decided that my writing is no longer an embarrassment to them, they actually kind of like it. I think its because they can google me and find my blog and see they are talked about. Makes them feel like celebrities, I guess. I give credit to Jack with my topic today. I struggled with what to write about. The blogging world suggests that you write daily/weekly so you don't lose your audience. I think with like 5 followers I might be safe.  :) but my 10 year old actually encouraged me to write today. I think it's because he wants to see his name again. His topic suggestion was hotel life. 

Hotel life can be rather mundane. Somedays it feels like the movie Ground Hog Day.  Jack disagrees, he said life is not boring mom, we live in a hotel.  True, very true Jack!

Day 23 of living in a hotel. Can you imagine?  The Town Place Suites in MI was very comfortable. They were extremely accommodating but it was small for 6 people, Yes we had 2 rooms. It was definitely a self service hotel and most of the people that stayed there were business people. We did have our fun, hotel parties with our crazy friends which garnered a few, please be quiet and can you stop running in the halls with the dog.  I swear that wasn't me nor the kids!  

The hotel in Thailand is a bit different. It is definitely a 5 star hotel. I always say, "big Papa' aka Walter" is a smart man. We are treated like royalty. We actually have our own floor to eat at which only a select amount of guests can go there to dine, the 19th floor.  Thank you Big K. 

People knock on my door to collect my laundry. I have yet to give them the mother load. I give them a few pieces at a time. The kids share a room with 4 individual beds, we refer to this room as "the pit". Honestly my boys are pigs and Erin just deals with it. Walter always wants to know why they are always in our room. I say because our room is clean and orderly. 

We have 3 happy hours a day. 2 of which are buy 1 get 1 free, this occurs at the swim up bar. The other is open bar for 2 hours. Thanks 19th floor. The kids will order any drink they can think of.  A favorite is virgin strawberry daiquiris, last night was virgin piña coladas.  We have sushi for breakfast.  Now you know why they don't complain that we haven't moved to our house. 

People watching here is amazing. Andrew is sure that the Russian mafia is staying across the hall from us. All their shirts say SWAT. I'm sure it stands for some Geek IT company. It has been fun to make up stories about some of the people here. We try to play guess the accent or nationality.  I suck at that game, as my kids like to remind me. 

It looks like our stay will be extended. As always with living in a foreign country, you have to be flexible, really flexible. Paper work is slowing up the process of delivering our air shipment. Looks like another week here at the Amari. It doesn't stink but it does have its draw backs. Staying at a hotel is supposed to be a privilege not a penance, sometimes it feels like the latter. I wake up everyday looking for the positive. Somedays you realize it's right in front of your face, your kids. 

My kids have sure shown me that life can be crazy at times but they do love the adventure. They can create fun out of anything.  I'm amazed every day at their courage to try new things and venture so easily out of their comfort zones. I'm still learning that character trait. They have no problem asking for what they want and going to get what they need. Even if it means lots of sign language and pointing. Ryan, the best at it of all, likes to go to the markets and barter for what he wants. Man he does it well. Jack likes to order all the crazy drinks, virgin of course, he orders for me too most days, non virgin of course. Erin is my buddy, hangs with her mom chatting about life but also plays the crazy games with the boys in the pool. Andrew, who knows, that kid walks and talks to his own tune.  How we all don't admire his ability to be his own person. Don't worry they all still drive me crazy, daily. 

I will leave you today with a funny story from our side of the world:

The other night the kids and I are on our own for dinner.  Don't worry, no McDonalds for us. One of the restaurants on the hotel site sits off to the side. It's main entrance is towards the street. It has peaked our curiosity since we have arrived. Looking on trip-advisor it ranks as the #4  recommended restaurant in Pattaya. Of course we go. The kids and I dress up, it has a dress code that they state they strictly enforce. No problem! Ryan calls to see if they have room for 5. Of course they do, remember Big Baht from the elephant rides. No Problem! 
Have you ever walked into a restaurant and as your walking towards the table try to figure out how you can leave with out anyone noticing?  No, well I have.  Problem!  This place is amazing. The decor wild, goth like with very good taste, fresh fish swimming in people size tanks.  A wine cellar that was as big as my kitchen.  Lobster from Maine, WHO orders lobster from Maine in Thailand?   As we are sitting down we are accosted by several wait staff waiting for our order. I think each of us had our own waitress. The drink menu is a mile long. Food Menu in hand I now know I am not getting out of here for less that $300. People, I am with 4 kids. The big K is not expensing our ability to try every first class joint in this town. Sitting there the kids are thoroughly enjoying this ride.  Me not so much, worrying about what big Papa will say. Not much I can do but enjoy and enjoy we did. There is a reason it is ranked #4. The food was outstanding. Chicken nuggets were not On this menu. First class dining at its best and we all looked good. Wish I had my camera, the bathrooms in itself were a sight. Wow!  Of course we all had to see for ourselves. In the end big Papa was not mad and we did make it out for less than $300, barely. Oh well as my kids say, YOLO! 

Can't wait to try the #1 ranked restaurant. ;)



Cheers 
😘 M



"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home." - James Michener


Pool time!

No comments:

Post a Comment