Sunday, November 3, 2013

The hospital

Well all good things sometimes can have a bad affect on people. No I'm not talking about drinking to much. Swimming and ear aches. Andrew has an ear infection. To much water from vacation and snorkeling and Andrews ear hurts. Since this being his second one in like 2 months I decide to take him to the hospital. We haven't been to a doctor here yet so I decide this is probably a good time with it not being emergency and we can really figure it out. 
When you go to the doctor here it's actually at the hospital. You go in go to the information desk and they take you to the appropriate area of the hospital, the nurses speak minimal English. .

 Andrew and I head to the ENT. We wait then it's our turn they take us to have his vital checks then return us to the waiting room. I HAVe to go to the bathroom. We sit and I tell Andrew I'll be right back don't move. I'm in and out 3 minutes tops and Andrew is gone. I go to the nurses station, now this is one major thing that bothers me about the Thais they don't acknowledge you if they are uncomfortable. I guess I made them uncomfortable because I can't FInd my kid. 

So I'm standing there going excuse me ( now wishing I had paid more attention during my Thai lessons) and about 7 of them behind the counter glance up at me but quickly put their heads down and go about their shuffling of papers. The nurse who took Andrews vitals who spoke English, I see her and ask her where Andrew is, she suddenly doesn't speak English. Now I'm agitated. Andrew is in one of these rooms. He is 12 and would not walk off. I call his cell, no answer. After several minutes and me getting no ones attention and no one having any idea where Andrew is a nice Thai woman waiting in the waiting room comes up to the Desk says something in Thai pointing down the hall and suddenly they are helping me find Andrew. I walk into the room and the appointment is over, with the doctor giving Andrew all his instructions. 

Andrew looks at me like WHERE have you been and why does my phone keep buzzing. 

We are shuffled out of the room and told to follow the nice nurse who brought us here. Yeah where was she when I couldn't find Andrew. I am givin a bill, told to wait for my number to be called, pay for services, handed my medicine and sent on our merry way. All this took place in less than an hour and now we head out to find Khun Biayoon. I'm Exhausted. 
These are just some of the things you have to get use to in this country. It is definitely not America. I just have to remind myself sometimes. 

Cheers
😘 M

No comments:

Post a Comment