Sunday, November 3, 2013

The vacation was not over!

We arrived home from vacation and poor Walter had to jump on a plane for America, all within a couple of hours. The kids and I relaxed for a day sent the laundry out and stocked the refrigerator. 
Saturday we were invited by some friends to go snorkeling here in Pattaya and possibly try out scuba diving. In typical Maggie fashion, I ask no questions or details and just jump in head first into making this decision. Basically this is how I have lived my last the last 40+ years. Hell yes we are going. 
The only detail is to be at the dive shop by 8am. The boys and I head out get to the dive shop. (Erin didn't want to go bc of to much homework, her mistake!) I go in having absolutely no idea what I have gotten myself into. First question I ask what time should my driver return to pick us up. 6pm I'm told. 6pm????..  Seriously that is like in many hours from now. What on earth are we doing?  Do I say this of course not. I nod my head and go tell my driver to be back at 6. He of course already knows this because he talks to all the other drivers.
The instructors point me to the man who is going to help me and the boys get our equipment. I have decided we are just going to snorkeling. This man is TALL like 7ft tall I basically look at his belt buckle when I talk to him. He is a little intimidating and in this very strong German accent asks me what I need. Need I have no idea aren't you supposed to tell me what I need. I say we need flippers, WRONG they are not called flippers but fins.  Everything we have to discuss because I am American and he is NOt. Terms as simple as shoe size, I am WRONG they use European size.  Water temp is Celsius. Depth of water meters.  Oh come on just give me the damn stuff. 
Everyone has arrived we get on the baht bus and head to the pier. What kind of boat are we getting on?  I have no idea?  Was I suppose to bring food if we are going out till 6 pm, I have no idea. Detail, details. Maybe I need to start asking questions BEFoRe I agree to these things. Nah where would my sense of adventure be. My boys they just tend to roll their eyes at me and stop asking me questions because it becomes obvious I have no idea. 

The boat begins. There are about 30 people on the boat. We are given some safety instructions (that's actually a first for me in Thailand). They even had life vest for ALL of us. We head out into the open water. We traveled for about 11/2 hours. Thank goodness my girlfriend gave me her last Dramamine "just in case" before we left. Maybe another detail I should have thought about. I don't get sea sick but I also can't remember when I traveled an hour and a half out into the open water. 

Thank God I made this decision to come. What a wonderful day. We snorkeled, the boys jumped off the boat, got to see lots of scuba divers. We ate lunch on the boat, it reminded me of camp. Everything was served out of big metal pots and you scooped up onto big plastic plates. We did not have to down our own dishes though which was a bonus. The boys of course still talk about the awesome food of course Everything was deep fried that's why and lots of fresh fruit. Beverages were served only after snorkeling and swimming (safe again, shocking!). I was prepared in the best way I know, an opener. Yep they all made fun of me for having it on my keys (house keys remember I don't drive here so it's okay) but they could open their beers. 

Poor Walter he missed this trip. What's the saying - the cats away and the mice will play!  That's me!

The boys are at the top listening to our safety instructions. 

Jack and I doing a little snorkeling. 

Andrew just a natural floater. 

Jumping off the boat. 

Cheers
😘 M

No comments:

Post a Comment