Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Sometimes it's the simple things

Shopping for groceries is quite an experience. You can either chose the more modern route by visiting an actual store or you can seek out the many many many open markets.  I have been sticking to the safe route of going to the store but just recently went into the world of the wet market (or as my boys like to refer to it as the stinky market) where you'll find the freshest seafood you'll ever find.  The wet market is for another blog day. 

Tesco Lotus, the store that I have frequented more than I care to, resembles a Walmart, though not in the same ranking to resemble a Target. Target is a much higher standard in my mind. Tesco carries everything and nothing. Why, well you can't read anything. It is all characters. Sometimes I feel like an adult who can't read. Thank goodness for pictures. It takes forever to go through the store. You pick up, touch and look at everything. I think that's why I'm in the store for hours plus there are hoards of people. They bus them in on greyhound type buses. We escaped the other day by seconds as they were unloading hundreds of people. Why, I have no idea what the draw is. 

To find an item in English at this store is like opening exactly what you wanted on Christmas. Your so joyful you can read it you buy it anyway even if it is denture cream. 

Walter and I ordering meat the other day was a game of charades. Sometimes you loiter around the counters to see if anyone speaks even a fraction of English. This man at the deli counter was speaking to the women behind the counter in English and she seemed to understand. Great I say to myself,  today we try deli meat. I listen to this man and now Walter and I are prepared. We don't want to order to much because who the hell knows what it will taste like.  The man ordering was either German or Russian figuring he knew what he was doing I followed his lead. We ordered German salami, no problem, 1/2 kilo. Now we want ham but again don't know how it will taste so we only want 1/4 kilo. Walter is using all types of charades to get this poor deli worker to understand 1/4 kilo. Hilarious, if you could have seen us. We are gesturing with our hands like scissors. We know she understands 1/2 so we are saying 1/2 of 1/2. We look ridiculous and the workers are trying not to laugh at us. This woman says finally 250, Walter laughs slaps his head and says yes. See I never paid much attention to math in grammar school so I never would have known that but Walter the engineer was like duh!   

Searching through the aisles can be a daunting task. Looking at labels and trying to find ingredients that I'm use to. Creative cooking has taken on a new meaning. Sometimes you just have to give up on what you want.  I am missing lemons. Such a simple thing I know. 

Today was a nice day. I actually ventured out with my little boys (not little anymore at 12 and 10 but cant stop myself from referring to them as that) and met some new people. It was nice to talk to other moms again. On our way home the woman I was with wanted to stop at one of the local markets (kind of like a little grocery store). I am always up for going to new places. My world is slowing expanding. I had heard about this market but had never gone so I was excited. I walk in and am quite surprised by the cleanliness and variety. There are quite a few expats in this area so that does explain it. Expats mean $$$$$. As I walked in towards the little produce stand the sky got a little brighter, LEMONS!  I was thrilled. Can you imagine being so excited over something so small. Sometimes it is the small things in life that make you the happiest, especially in a foreign country. I love ice tea, I love ice tea with lemons. With the 500 boxes of tea that I brought with me I can now have ice tea with lemon.
(Walter did have to remind me that we are in an Asian country and they are known for their tea so I probably didn't have to bring any, oh plhhhhhh to him). Lol


Ryan news: he is feeling much better, leaving in 7 days :(

Erin's burn: healing, she is getting better

Walter news: He got pulled over by the cops today. Yup, he is alway one to be marked in these foreign countries. He has no idea why he was pulled over. The police here station themselves in places and just pull people over. Of course the cop walks up to him says something he has no idea what, Walter hands over his MI license. The cop is yelling at him something which he says sounded like CONFIRM, CONFIRM, Walter obviously has no idea what that means. (I said are you sure he wasn't saying BAHT BAHT.) Walter pulls the car over and gets out. Telling me this I'm like WHAT are you crazy. If it had been me I would probably start crying or something. Anyway Walter gets out, now remember Walter is a white Godzilla here. He said the men weren't even as tall as me.  Walter starts shoving his international drivers license in the guys face and says loudly ( though this really doesn't make someone who doesn't speak the same language understand you any better) "This is legal". Looking up at Walter the officer hands him back both licenses and waves him off.  Walter gets back in his car and drives away. He was so proud that he didn't hand over any baht ($). Which we do keep 400 baht in the car for this reason. 
I'm just glad I didn't have to go loony on anyone at the Thai police station to get my husband back. ;) Lol


Cheers 
😘 M

No comments:

Post a Comment