Monday, August 26, 2013

The Unofficial First Day

Unofficial first day of school was a success, well we all survived and that's what is important.  The official day is tomorrow but we got over the first day jitters, almost.  Erin and Andrew had orientation, Jack was meet the teacher.  All had a bit of the stomach butterflies this morning, me having them the worst.  I hate seeing my kids nervous and wish I could make it easier.  Nothing worse than seeing your kids by themselves with no one around.  I know it is temporary but wish I could fast forward a month so everyone feels comfortable. Unfortunately this comes with the territory of moving. 

The kids are going to a British International School.  They all speak funny and spell words wrong.  LOL, okay I am kidding but I do have the occasional need/desire to correct their spelling.  Funny we all speak English but there are words they use that I have no idea what they mean. 
My kids are in years not grades. They no longer have teachers they have tutors.  We don't wear sneakers we wear trainers.  It isn't programs it is programmes and we don't organize we organise.  I am so excited for them to take on this educational experience.  This school is so fabulous and I feel very fortunate that my kids have this opportunity. It is not just the education level which is top notch but the extracurricular opportunities they will have.  Jack being year 6 will go for 6 nights up north to the providence of Chiang Mai to stay at a camp and hike through the foothills to stay with the Thai tribal children.  That is just cool.  Well of course I think so, I'll ask him what he thinks after he goes.  :)

A campus view of the kids school from the "football" field


Andrew's only complaint is that many people confuse him for Eastern European, it must be that Norwegian in him.  His blond hair and blue eyes have all the Russians wanting to speak to him.  I told them don't worry they just think your cute.  He did not like that answer. 

Of course my kids will probably be on Sally Jesse Raphael to scream at me for all this moving and how I have screwed up their life but for now I will believe it is the best for them, I think, I will let you know when they hit 25.  ;)


Erin in her smart business attire, Andrew in his uniform and Jack the lucky one didn't have to wear his cute plaid shorts, which Andrew likes to tease him and call it a skirt, Nice brother!.  More official pics tomorrow.

 

Other Elms news: Walter got Ryan moved in. ( I got over my sadness, can you believe we still have food  in our house after the weekend, that never happens with Ryan here ;).  So far Ryan's room mate is a no show.  He may end up with a single.  He is happy and it could be the new bachelor pad.  Scary!  Of course when they facetimed me no bed was made and no cute things hung on the wall but the computer and wifi were working, the TV was hooked up and xbox was working like a dream.  Life of a college boy with no mother there.  He has good food, a safe for his stuff and Walter bought him a hang out chair for the pad.  Life is good at MSU!


Our Thailand world is getting bigger.  We are the adventurist these days.  A driver has made it very nice and easy to explore.  Most grocery stores have been discovered.  Who knew that Thailand had so many in such a small radius.  I am finding most anything I want, reading labels are still tricky.  Today we went to another mall.  I am telling you this move is a costly one with all the shopping we are doing.  ;)  This mall was great but deadly.  It sits right on the Bay of Thailand, it even has a Gap (which prices were outrageous even more than the US).  On the 3rd floor there is the food court which overlooks the bay.  This is a little different from the typical food courts of the US.  I can sit and drink beer, wine, Coco Loco, or Singapore Sling, just to name a few.  Can you imagine the purchases I would make after having a few cocktails. 

Last Friday as a end of summer lets get crazy day, the kids and I decided to really go out of our comfort zone and explore.  Tripadvisor has been a great tool for me.  Trying to do something different then the usual exploration of another grocery store, kids are a little tired of "lets see if they have chicken carcasses hanging around and  how fishy smelling is this store".  I chose Tripadvisors #6 best rated places to go in Pattaya, the Khao Kheow Open Zoo.  This was about a 45 minute drive from where we live.  Your thinking so, but when you live in another country, you don't speak a word of the language, your a total minority and your Big Papa is out of the country your just a little hesitant to take an adventure out of your comfort zone.  This was truly a test. The kids were pumped to go.  Opening my big mouth about this place how could I deny.  Having a driver does give you a little sense of security so away we went.  I figured we could drive out there and if it was bad turn around.

Well, this zoo is now listed as #1 on Tripadvisor after my review.   This zoo was fantastic.  I can't say enough.  What fun we had.  You rent a golf cart and drive yourself around the zoo.  We fed so many animals.  It was an absolutely beautiful zoo and the animals were so well taken care of.  Erin, Andrew, Jack and I had never been so close and feed so many different animals.  The wild monkeys that roam the zoo were a huge hit.  They jump on your golf cart trying to steal anything they can grab.  The day couldn't have been more fun for us and gave us all a boost in our confidence about living in Thailand. 

The paparazzi didn't disappoint either, Erin and Jack were stalked by some children and the teachers wanted pictures of them with their students. It really is weird being the minority.  Erin said now I know how the animals feel.   


This guy is wanting to jump on our golf cart.
 
Yes the orangutan is real.

I got cool mom of the day award from my boys because we drove around in a golf cart at the zoo.
 

Funny story of the day:  After orientation today I go to meet up with Erin.  Seeing many year 12's leaving with their books I head over to where they are being let out.  Not seeing Erin, Jack and I hang around some tables waiting.  I see several girls walking out together but no Erin.  After several minutes I take a seat at the table dreading her coming out thinking she is probably really unhappy and maybe all alone.  Sitting at this table I notice some students sitting close to me with this girls back to me and some very cute boys talking to her.  I think to myself, hopefully soon Erin will be that girl and have lots of friends and cute boys talking to her.  About 15 minutes pass with me sitting at this table waiting, panic starts to set in wondering where she is.  Noticing again this table of students that are completely enjoying themselves something seems familiar about this girl.  OMG, it is Erin!  She had been sitting near me the entire time chatting so casually with these 2 boys.  All attention was on her.  She was happy as a clam and had no idea that I was even on the grounds of the school.  Worried? I am no longer, this girl is going to be just FINE!!!


BTW  Erin is the only American in year 12 and 13 in her school.  She is like a celebrity. 

Cheers
M

Last but not least Elms news:

We might be getting the rest of our shipment this week.  YAHOO!!

Walter comes home late Wednesday night (our time).  We can't wait!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment