Sunday, April 7, 2013

More house hunting, UGH!! - Day #5

It was a better day for us. Better for the kids too. The kids got the day off.
Im jealous. All of them stayed back at the hotel and hung out and enjoyed the
pool and accommodations at the hotel.  Walter and I went and registered at the
school and went house hunting AGAIN.

The school is set and I think they will be really happy at The Regents. Andrew
has a 3 hour entrance exam tomorrow but I'm not worried. Jack just has an
interview which is basically to see if he has a brain ( which I guess could be
questionable sometimes ) and speaks English ( which again could be questionable). Erin already is done when SHE interviewed the head of the IB program. He
already figured out that she will be fine in the program. I think he doesn't
want her to talk anymore and ask 40000 questions. ;) Also her long winded stories
could take all day. She is awesome. How did I get her.

I think we narrowed down our house. It is not quite as WOW as the house with the
indoor pool but it is safe, has a nice yard and a great pool ( one that is
outdoor not indoor).  It is a 4 bedroom with a decent kitchen ( I may have a
hard time cooking a turkey at thanksgiving but it will do). Nothing compares to
my current kitchen. It has a great outdoors area. I really believe that is
important with the climate we live in. It has a large pool with a great deck
around it and a really cool covered Thai patio ( similar to a pa la pa, what you
would find in MX). The "Xbox room" is not so defined but I think the boys will
be happy. One may have to have the TV Xbox in their room. That is still up for
debate. Laundry is another area that is going to be tricky.  First the size of the washer could not even fit Jack inside and a dryer is not available.  Turns out many of the houses don't offer dryers.  Electricity is outrageous that is why.  I am going to have to find a maid quick when we move. 

So strange here is landlords. That is so key to renting the right house. We met
a strange one here. We were seriously considering his house. It was awesome. 3
stories 5 bedroom, huge pool and yard but he did not believe in wireless or a
microwave or a dishwasher. His house was brand new and really spacious but he
was a NUT. Really a NUT. He thought we all would die from the radioactive waves. 
Would not even consider wireless.  Walter was like I work out of the house. He
would only hook up 4 wired Internet cables. I was like how will I read the USA
today on my ipad in my bed at night. Major deal breaker.  It's to bad the house
was perfect. I guess he doesn't need the money.

Walter and I with our realtor went to the Siam Country Club for lunch. It was
beautiful. Pattaya is known for its golf clubs. It is world renown. The food was
just as exceptional. This is a place mom and dad I will bring you. It truly
shows the beauty of this country.

They are all swimming in the hotel pool tonight. It is nice to have a relaxing
evening. It has been really stressful but an important step to the transition.
The kids seem to be doing okay. They have actually been more adventurous then
Walter and I. Ryan and Jack went to the markets yesterday where Ryan bartered
with some woman for some crazy wall hanging. They all went to the family market
today and shopped for some random stuff and swam at the pool. Me on the other
hand am going to go home with out a tan because my time has been spent
in a van sweating to death going from house to house. Oh and Erin gets served.
Nice!  Ryan and Erin think they are sooooo cool. Scary!  Thank goodness Erin
will be going to this extremely strict school with her head buried in the books
studying.

We rode what we refer to as the baht bus yesterday, it is an open taxi.(same as what we rode on Easter to the beach) So strange, think of a pick up truck with seats in the bed and a roof. It is 10
baht around the beach road and 2 nd street. Basically 4 of us rode it for 40
baht which is like a $1.10.

Right now we are being extremely American. It is funny. No one is in the pool
but us. Actually they have cleaned up around us. Think of the nicest hotel in
the US then put the Griswalds there. That's us. I think we have broken every
rule. The only reason they haven't thrown us out is because Walter keeps tipping
everyone which is extremely uncommon here. It is funny. At least we get what we
want. The kids are learning money talks. Sad but true.

No Mojitos tonight at Havanas. I think I will survive. We went last night and
had a blast. Played pool had margarita pizza (it is actually really good thin crust pizza) and drank Mojitos.

I really think it is going to be crazy living here. All I can think is Querétaro
on steroids.  So much bigger and crazy. I may have gone completely nuts to have
agreed to this move. I may have to get a look see trip before we commit next
time . I do think that Querétaro was a good stepping stone for us. Maybe it
prepared us for this adventure. Who knows.

Hope all is good with everyone.
Send me feedback. What do you think? 

Love to all
M






 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment