Saturday, April 6, 2013

Sawadee Ka - Day #1

Sawadee kaa, thats Thai for hello. The end of our first day here was very
successful. We saw 2 schools ( only one left which we see Monday). Quite
impressed with both schools the kids won't lose on education with either school.

I am experiencing a bit of major jet lag hence it being 1 am here and I am wide
awake.   The time difference is hard to adjust too. I was about ready to fall
over around 2 pm today. I seem to be the only one having issues though the kids
are tired but they have been sleeping.

The first school we saw was the British school, The Regents International School. Very cool and the
campus was impressive. More designed like a college campus and extremely
diverse. They were celebrating their international day so every country that
students are from was represented. Fun to see but not the best to see the true
representation of the school.  We may to go back so the kids can see the school
in actual working form with kids in classrooms. This international day reminded
me of the festival celebrations in Mexico. All the kids were dressed in their
traditional clothes from their country. We were in the Russian room and these
kids did this entire Russian dance to Russian music in traditional Russian
dress. Jack was worried he was going to have to learn that language too.

The American school put their best sales pitch on and were quite impressive. 
Actually I was very impressed but funny my kids saw through it. It actually
might be to American for them.  It is smaller than the British school, for
instance Jacks class has 14 kids total.  This was jacks favorite school. They
did a nice job making him feel very comfortable but he did get his nose bent out
of shape because they did not ask HIM what sports he played. He did not get to
tell them what an awesome soccer player he is. :)   People were very nice. The
neighborhood was beautiful but the houses were old and no private swimming pools
just a community pool which is a deal breaker for the kids.  They want their own
pool.

We see one more school Monday. St Andrews international school ( yes it's
affiliated with the same school princess Kate and prince William attended). It
is the smallest of the three.

We saw a few houses. One we are ready to move into today. It just had the vibe.
I wish I could show you it. Totally cool. The master bedroom shower has no roof.
You look up to the beautiful blue sky. The pool had fountains and a big Buddha
wall display and as Andrew and Jack like to say an "Xbox" room. That  is very
important to them. The house has to have an "Xbox" room. The house had a typical
Thai feel but modern.  If we chose that house I'll take pictures.

The kids feel like the rich and famous here. We are staying in this swanky
hotel. Everything can be done for you if you want. Walter and I went to the
executive happy hour. All free on the 19th floor overlooking the pool and beach
area. No chicken nuggets or nachos served there just traditional thai cuisine. I
cant say I have had a ton of thai food before I came here and YUM. It is
delicious. Half the time I have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm eating nor
can I pronounce it. Today I had something with coconut milk and lemongrass with
chicken, wow it was delicious. Ryan, Andrew, and Jack discovered the swim up bar
in the pool. That is a favorite. Ryan has discovered Singha, the local beer. Yes
he gets served. We told him if he got served he could have a cocktail,
mistake!  He now is ready for Costa Rica because he had his first Mojito
tonight. He thinks he is king of the world. I think he is enjoying himself. He
did not go with us today school and house hunting. He kept himself busy hanging
around the hotel and walked the beach. So funny he told me he went to one of the
restaurants here in the hotel called The Tavern, it's set up like a typical
sports bar.  He ordered a typical Thai dish with seafood which he said was
unbelievable. Well as he was sitting at his table one of the security guards
came over to him and asked to join him. He wanted to speak English. So he taught
Ryan Thai and Ryan taught him English. He said they spoke for about 30 minutes.
To funny only Ryan. Well when we were walking out tonight to go to dinner we are
walking past this security guard and he salutes us. I'm like what's up with
that. Ryan's like he's my friend I had lunch with him. Saluting is a sign of
respect here by anyone in uniform but you do not salute back only say sawadee ka (if your female, sawadee krup if your a male). It was so funny.

We went to a very cool restaurant for dinner called Havana's. Totally eclectic
something out of like NYC. A big huge red chandelier and wing back chairs you
would find in a living room. All wood flooring and trim, very high ceilings,
huge glass doors and windows all open to this outdoor area. Bar was all brick.
Awesome Mojitos. We had pizza, yes pizza and it was very good. The boys played
pool. I can't do this place justice by describing it. I need to go back to
English 101 and learn some new adjectives. This place had a wow factor. Also buy
one get one free drinks, who does that. Seriously, so of course I'm never one to
turn a free drink away I had 2 Mojitos. It was free.  

So did I tell you how HOT thailand is?  Wow it is HOT. They only way is to
compare it to is this past summer in St. Louis. All those ungodly days of over
100*. It reminded me of when we lived in Houston. Well it's not over 100 but it
sure does feel like it. I guess it's summer here now. April and May are the
hottest months. I am not complaining but it does take some getting used to when
we are used to 32* and snow. There is no hope for my hair here. Complete frizz
not even a straightener will help. I am going to have to start sporting a
different do.  My straightener is not helping me anyway because it doesn't work
here. Electricity is completely different.

The kids are good. They are really enjoying the experience. Of course our
realtor loves Erin. Andrew has even come around a bit and is speaking more than
10 words to us.   He actually said that he wants to go to The Regent school
because and I quote " why do I want to go to an American school when I'm living
in Thailand why not get a totally different experience and shake things up a bit
where else would you be able to go to a British school with all these different
people". I was floored and almost fell over.  The music program is exceptional
at both schools but at The regent he could continue his saxophone but also learn
guitar and piano. Also the "round table" ( not quite sure what that means)
theater was like something out of Shakespeare. He loved it.

Well that is all from my day 1. So much to take in it is overwhelming. I would
not trade this for anything. I'm feeling very fortunate that my kids are willing
to take this adventure with Walter and I.

I could write for hours but will spare you  so much to share.
Hope everyone is good where you are.
More tomorrow.
Love to all.
M



Havana's bar









 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment