Tuesday, September 17, 2013

He is the MAN!

What was I thinking?  Seriously, why would I doubt Big Papa. He is the MAN!

You ever go into a store and a sale sign is posted with the price and you buy that item because of that price only to get to the register and have it ring up with a totally different price?  Frustrating! Try this in a foreign country where you don't speak the language. Most like me would give up and just walk out the door. How does one argue this. They don't teach you this conversation in language class. 
Nope not Walter. One who has mastered the art of negotiating large engineering contracts in most foreign countries. He will take on anyone just for the principle. 

Walter and I go into Makro (the store he fished in) to buy some captain. Yes The Captain, well it's not the real Captain it's the Jamaican Rum Captain, definitely not the same (so I have been told)
Note to readers: If you ever come to visit us please bring Real Captain in your suitcase for my man, you will be reimbursed!  And it will be MUCH appreciated. 

Anyway~ 

While we are in the liquor section I want some Proseco too. The sign says if you buy 6 bottles then you get a discount. Never passing up a bargain we put 6 bottles, plus the captain and a few other treats in our cart. They ring up our selections, we pay and walk away. Walter checks the receipt, we are still in the store, have to purchase liquor in the liquor section which is in the back.  Walter notices that we were charged the regular price not the discounted price for the Proseco as stated on the sign. He shows the receipt to the lady at the register. She then Shows the receipt to the lady who sits behind her, who we assume is the liquor store manager though she doesn't really do anything but wear a different shirt. This "manager" says something we don't understand. Walter says no no that is the price (pointing to the sale price on the sign) we should pay. I know they have no idea what he said but they get he is unhappy, it's all in the tone. They make a phone call which makes a weird noise over the intercom. We wait!
I'm thinking ~ security is coming for us. 

We stand there for a very long time. I think they are trying to "wait us out\the stall tactic" hoping we give up. A trick we have learned when living in another country. Not my Big Papa. While waiting Walter takes a photo of the sign with the Proseco bottles with his phone. The woman takes down the sign. Finally the woman with the different shirt grabs our cart and takes us to the front of the store.
I'm still thinking~ security is coming for us. 

We wait some more.  Now the different shirt girl starts talking with one who we assume is the manager, he isn't.  He throws up his hands. A different woman approaches and the two women start speaking (remember we don't speak Thai so we have absolutely no idea what they are saying). The other (who we assume is now the store) manager takes over. She makes a phone call continuing while she is talking to count the number of bottles again and read the receipt, again.  
I know security is coming for us. 

She gets off the phone and speaks to different shirt girl. Different shirt girl says a word we recognize, Photo.  Now we have the managers attention. She makes another phone call. We wait. Getting off the phone. Walter shows her the photo. She picks up the phone again. The stall tactic is working on me. I am ready to throw in the towel. Not Walter. 

She starts speaking to Walter again. Walter says pood tai mai dai krap (that means I don't speak Thai) she says Oh Ok then continues to speak slower IN THAI. I am at an almost full blown giggle now.  Walter being extremely reserved and extremely polite starts pointing to bottles and numbers. A full blown game of charades is taking place between the manager and Walter and I am not sure who is winning. 
I know security is coming for us. 

I said to Walter, really,  like what kind of baht are we talking. He says we are in this to far, I'm not walking away. It's not about the money it's the principle of it. Plus this is comic relief. He is having fun. 

Both of us are enjoying ourselves watching these poor Thai people squirm not knowing how to deal with this American.  After a really long wait and several more rounds of charades, pointing and writing and each speaking their own language, Walter tells the lady, "I tell my company people to never shop here again". Really these are his words. Not sure what word she knew in english but something caught her attention. 

Now I am ready to fall over in laughter. You can't make this sh..... Up. I swear. 

She gets back on the phone. Says something over the counter. Has Walter sign some documents and hands Walter his money. Walter wins. He gets his money owed.  Extremely proud of himself, never once raising his voice or was rude, extremely respectful with hand movements but got what was due his. His best game of charades ever. This guy is good. 

Thank goodness she didnt know that there are only 3 Big K expats in all of Pattaya. Lol

Why would I ever doubt this man. I would have thrown in the towel at the first hint of confrontation. 

Yep this is how we get our entertainment here in Thailand!


Cheers
😘 M


No comments:

Post a Comment