Friday, September 13, 2013

I was blessed!

Out to lunch today while sitting at the table we notice a crowd of people gathering in the road. A pick up truck rides up and in the back is a monk with this gold statue of I have absolutely no idea who. The truck is preaching something over loud speakers and many Thai are gathering around. My girlfriend and I decide to head over and see what is going on. We can see people with money in hand. 

The monk is blessing people with water and tying string around their wrist. The people are also placing gold leaf onto the statue. They are putting money in the box at the end of the truck. Not one to miss out anything plus you never know when you need an extra blessing or two, we step up. A man walking behind the truck hands us 2 pieces of string and a gold piece in what is like wax paper. We step towards the statue and rub the gold on it then go to the monk where he ties the string on our wrist. I put my offering in his box and bow at the monk. 

Stepping back from the truck I begin to look up, the monk has this long wooden stick in his hand. Thinking he is going to strike me, my mom might have called me devil child once or twice when I was younger and I haven't always been the most rule following adult, I go to bend my head down and am struck in the face with a large splash of water that came off his blessing stick. Caught by quite a surprise I have to contain myself from giggling. I guess he decided I needed some extra help in the blessing department. Not once during this time that we are watching people did he douse anyone else., just me. I have been blessed!!


Here is the monk on the back of the truck. 


The gold statue where you can see the gold leaf that people have placed all over. The statue is actually what felt like oiled so the gold would stick. 


My friend getting her wrist tied. 


What the string looks like. 


Here is what I learned when I googled Buddhaism. 

Monks tie a string with a symbolic knot around your right wrist (women can be either wrist). You should not attempt to help tie the knot. Monks are adept at doing it without touching you. The string is called sai sin. Thais believe this will bring you great luck but it is not a talisman nor does it possess secret powers, it is a gift from someone revered by Thais.

The gold leaf is actually real gold pounded into very thin sheets. Placing the gold onto the Buddha is said to have the meaning of doing good deeds without seeking attention.


Cheers
😘 M

No comments:

Post a Comment